Saturday, January 17, 2009

2nd Meeting (Jan 16): James 1:1-18

Summary of our discussion (feel free to add further thoughts through comments):

The book of James
- practical

v8 talks about being double minded
- faith & trusting vs tossing & turning
- also refers to Christian faith in general: we shouldn't second guess God, His love for us, ...
- when you pray, do not doubt

v2-4 endurance, patience, perserverance ... developed through trials 
- allow these tough times to refine and complete your character
- try to seek God's will in both good and tough times

v5 lacking wisdom? ask God, who gives generously to all ...


For those who have made it this far (i.e. clicked on the link to this blog, and read this, I want to challenge you to do something else)

Challenge:
- Pick a verse or a couple verses that you want to apply to your life 
- Meditate on it and commit that verse to memory
- Post up on this blog or email your small group (accountability)
- Share about how this verse has helped you or helped you help someone else (encourage one another)


3 comments:

  1. James 1:2-5

    I need to learn to trust God and to allow Him to use these times to shape me into the man He has called me to be. And I also need to pray in faith more often. My prayer life is really lacking. I want to want God... if you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna jump ahead in the book and pick James 4:3. I want to ask what God wants to give.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yo james such an awesome book to read. Its so practical and really encourages us to act. Great job Josh in leading through this book.

    ReplyDelete